Room 6 Update - 10/17/16
Dear Room 6 Families,
Thank you all for coming to conferences two weeks ago (time flies!). It was a pleasure getting to spend time with each of you and discuss your child’s progress. This is a wonderful group of students that I’m privileged to teach.
We are starting a new unit in math this week – Unit 2 Introduction to Place Value through Addition and Subtraction. The first few lessons (Topic A) focus on counting on or making a ten when solving problems. If you have any questions about the homework, feel free to send me an email. I also have links to helpful newsletters and videos on my Rancho website. Your child brought home the Unit 1 workbook today as well. Most of the homework that isn’t finished is because I don’t send homework over the weekend. And some of the lessons we consolidated with other lessons. If your child wants to go back and complete the unfinished pages, that’s fine with me, but not necessary.
A new reading log came home today along with a list of Book Talk Questions. The more students talk about what they’re reading, the more they develop the ability to question as they read and thus become strong, insightful readers. You can use these questions when you and your child read together and talk about what you’ve read. Each night, choose one question that you and your child discussed and have YOUR CHILD write the response on the reading log. Be sure to include the title of the book and well as the question number to which your child is responding. The reading log is due on Friday.
Which brings me to another topic – book bags. I really appreciate students getting into the routine of bringing home the book bag on Monday and returning it on Friday. It is important that students switch out their books on a regular basis so they are exposed to new texts. I allocate time on Friday’s and Monday’s to return and shop for new books. If the books are switched outside of that window, it interrupts our class time and the lesson we are working on. So, please, help your child remember to put the bag in their backpacks Thursday night so we can have it in class on Friday. Thank you!
A few students have mentioned that they need a new homework folder. Unfortunately, I don’t have any extra Roadrunner folders. If you have a folder at home that you can spare, that’s fine with me. If you would like me to purchase a new folder for your child, just let me know. And remember that math homework is due the next day. Getting into a nightly homework routine is good preparation for the rest of their school years.
I apologize for the length of this email. I will try to keep them a little shorter going forward.
Room 6 Update - 9/29/16
Dear Room 6 Families,
I’m looking forward to seeing everyone next week at conferences. This is a great opportunity to talk about your child’s adjustment to first grade and set some goals for the coming year. Remember that all first graders arrive each day at 8:30 and leave at 12:00.
The book fair will also be taking place next week. Please stop by the library and take a look at all the wonderful books. First grade will not be going “shopping” during the school day – that is reserved for 2nd – 5th and I know your child will be excited to look around. Every item purchased gives points to the library to use for more books so it’s a win-win.
Probably poor timing but I also sent Scholastic book order forms home today. I will be placing another order in a few weeks. I am only taking online orders this year. If you would like to order some books apart from the book fair, you can go to www.scholastic.com/readingclub. Our class code is MF9MR.
Finally, don’t forget to sign up for the Run for Education!
Enjoy your long weekend,
Room 6 Update - 8/16/16
Dear Room 6 Families,
Well, we just marked 24 days in school and the students have some a long way in that short amount of time! They are all kind, considerate, bright children – thank you for all of your support at home!
Just a few reminders:
- The deadline to sign up for Camp Rancho was today, but I believe they will still accept sign ups on Monday. Please do not feel obligated to pay the $100 – it is a suggested donation. If your child would like to participate, we would gladly accept any donation, or no donation at all.
- Primo’s Run for Education registration is under way. We would love to see Rancho well represented! Check the weekly Ranchogram for more information.
- I added some helpful math links to my webpage. There are newsletters for each math topic we will be covering as well as helpful videos that explain the lessons being taught. There is also a link to the SRVUSD Elementary Math symbaloo that takes you to many interesting math sites. Take a look and let me know what you think!
- PTA’s annual Reflections Art contest has begun.
- What Is Your Story?
- That is the theme of this year’s PTA Reflections Art contest. Students are invited to submit their art in one of the following categories:
- Film Production
- Music Composition
- Visual Arts
- There are 2 divisions for Elementary Schools: Primary: K through 2nd grade, and Intermediate: 3rd through 5th grade. Entries should be submitted to the Rancho office no later than October 14, 2016. Each entry needs to be accompanied by an entry form, which you can find here. You can find specific details on the website. Winning entries move on to our District Showcase.
- If you have any questions contact email@example.com, or stop by the art room!
That’s about it.I hope you all have an enjoyable, restful weekend!
Room 6 Update - 9/9/16
Happy Friday! A few quick reminders:
- Tuesday, 9/13, is a minimum day. All students arrive at 8:30 and leave at 12:00.
- A form was sent home this week for Camp Rancho. The first grade team will be working the Ninjago Lego camp – should be fun!
- There is still time to sign up for Run Club, which will start on September 21st. Late workers can participate on Wednesdays.
- For homework next week, it isn’t necessary to use the cut out letters from last week to make the words. Students can write the words on the lined paper and change the beginning/ending sounds. It is good practice for letter formation too!
- We learned about “Bugs and Wishes” this week, and how we can use our words to solve problems. For example, “It’s bugs me when people poke me in line. I wish people would stay out of my space bubble.” We talked about bugs and wishes in general in class, then practiced using the statements directly to another student to solve a problem. Very effective!!
Thank you to the parents who have offered to volunteer in centers. I had two volunteers each week so far which was great. Unfortunately, I really need at LEAST three volunteers, ideally four. If we can’t get more parents to help with centers, we may have to cut back to every other week. I spoke with Erica Dublin and she is happy to fill in a slot here and there if you can’t make it on a regular basis. I understand work gets in the way, trust me! And if we have a lot of working parents, then we can make every other week work. But if you have any flexibility at all, please let Erica know ASAP so we can schedule appropriately. Thank you!
If you get a chance, let me know how everything is going with your child. They are all making really great progress in class.
Enjoy your weekend!
Room 6 Update - 8/29/16
I hope you all enjoyed your weekend! Everyone did a great job this morning with the change of schedule. Just a friendly reminder that Wednesday is an adjusted schedule – all students begin class at 8:30 and leave at 1:45.
Just a few things:
- Take home book bags came home today. Please review the letter that is in the bag and let me know if you have any questions. The books go home on Monday and are returned on Friday.
- Homework consists of students reading the books in the bag to an adult for 15-20 minutes each night. Please record what’s read on the reading log. You may want to keep the reading log in the book bag so it doesn’t get misplaced.
- If you find the books are too hard for your child, please let me know and we can choose new books.
- Please confirm with Erica Dublin (firstname.lastname@example.org) that she may use your contact information. We are still missing a few parents on our class contact list and I can’t share the information.
- If you haven’t already sent in an “emergency snack” for your child, please do so ASAP.
- We are still missing a few emergency cards – if you didn’t fill one out at Back to School night, we need those ASAP. Just send them in with the homework folder. If you need a card, please let me know.
Thanks to everyone who signed up to volunteer! It looks like we still need some center volunteers. If you can’t commit to twice a month, let me know and we can try to get you some time on the schedule. It helps to have more regular volunteers so you understand the routine, but I won’t be picky!!
That’s about it! Hope you all have a good week!